Just beneath the high mountain range of the African Atlas is the red city of Morocco known as Marrakech. With a culture that has grown to be so vibrant, free, and pure, who would have known that this imperial city only started as another pit stop for medieval caravans?
However, regardless of its humble beginnings, you'll still be bound by its magic spell with the warmth of its people, inspiring history, and colorful tradition. Standing in the middle of the red city walls, you'll know for sure that you're in for a timeless escape with Marrakech travel. But to make the most out of your journey to this spellbinding exotic destination, here are the top eight things you shouldn't dare miss on your Marrakech travel:
1. Relive the memories of the old city. The 13th century walls that surround the medina is reminiscent of ancient struggles and battles that took place in Morocco. A tour around the age-old fortresses, gates, and tanneries in your Marrakech travel is a good photo opportunity for tourists. Not only that, you'll also enjoy the inviting spirit of the modern city amidst the well-preserved relics, natural wonders, and architectural pieces of the past. With friendly people and bustling activities around the corner, you'll enjoy every minute of this experience.
2. Get lost with the crowd at Djemaa el Fna. This large square that lies at heart of the old city is teeming with too many spectacles and surprises. From bargain shopping to snake charming, you'll never have a dull moment in your Marrakech travel. Open your eyes to a lot of things, which include juggling acts, musical performances, as well as belly dancing. You don't even have to worry about losing your way back to your hotel. As overwhelmingly large as it can be, the square offers a winding escape to interesting sites around the city.
3. Take a spiritual retreat. They say that paying a visit to popular trails of mosques, churches, and other places of worship is a wonderful Marrakech travel experience that can be life-altering. However, for those who only wish to satisfy their curiosities, time is well-spent in admiring some of the most exquisite architectural designs in the world. You'll be stunned how Marrakech was able to preserve the intricate details and premedieval style of these structures but much more, how it preserved its solemnity. The famous pilgrimage for the "seven saints" is also found in this city, while the Saadian tombs is highly recommended by most tourist guides.
4. Shop and explore its very best. Popular market stands also known as "souks" offer the best treat for bargain shopping. The bazaar is usually filled with exotic finds such as metal works, wood pieces, baskets, and leather sets-- some of which, you'll only find in Morocco. You'll also be advised not to end your Marrakech travel without a belt, jewelry, carpet, or any form of clothing that are found in the souk.
5. Take a journey to the past. Marrakech is one of the best places to find age-old ceramics, paintings, mosaic, jewelries, and fabrics. Its museums house prestigious artifacts that date back to more than a thousand years. Manuscripts, contemporary arts, and traditional clothing are among the well-preserved collection. You may also take note in your Marrakech travel experience that museums here are not just brick-and-mortar structures but are also adorned with verdant gardens.
6. Stay in luxurious Riads in Marrakech. Your Marrakech travel experience will not be complete without staying in the city's famous Riads. These are residential facilities that top any 5-star hotel in modern cities. With luxurious rooms, overlooking views of the fountain, roof top terraces, and exquisite decorations, Riads are one of the best reasons to stay in Marrakech.
7. Experience the colorful tradition of Morocco. Embrace the Moroccan culture through entertainment activities and festivals in Marrakech. The Popular Arts Festival is a good way to add more life to your Marrakech travel adventures. Have a great time with fortune-tellers, fire swallowers, and acting troupes in the culmination of this festivity. Apart from carnival spectacles, you'll also witness the horse-riding parade known as Fantasia.
8. Treat yourself to fun-filled activities. Popular streams of casinos, discos, and bars are found in the city. But remember, alcoholic drinks are not allowed. Chances are, you'll have to stay sober all night.
Apart from enjoying Western hits and Moroccan pop music, your Marrakech travel adventure can never be complete without experiencing a taste of its gourmet paradise. Most cafes and restaurants in Marrakech offer a fusion of flavors from home grown recipes to international dishes.